Golden Heart

Golden Heart

Monday, May 31, 2010

Everything I Know Came From My Pets


Some days life is like a jet plane, flying by you at mach speeds and you wonder, " Where is the love?" This is often a signal to me to slow it back down, take it easy, and love with all of my heart. Love who? Anyone! Anything! Just love!

My pets have always been, since the wee days of my earliest years, a great source of pure love. When I was unable to trust not another single person, these angels disguised in various furry or feathered packages would come to my rescue being my sacred confidante whom I would share my deepest, darkest secrets with. When I could fill a room with all the tears I shed, one of them would always come to comfort me. They were my saving grace when I felt like I had no other.

Puddles (never let a three-year-old name a dog) was a shepherd mix. She was my first dog, and she got her name because she left happy trails wherever she went. My dog ended up being more of my uncle's dog, but she taught me a lot about discipline. If I would run through the house with my neighbor's children, she would nip at our feet until we sat and quieted. She ran a tight ship!

Our cats (and there were many) seemed to sense when I needed a friend to play with, allowing me to wheel them in strollers and dress them in doll clothes. They were very tolerant of me and so taught me tolerance of others.

When Puddles and Sunshine had both of their litters nearly back to back, I learned about the miracle of birth and stared in wonder and some disgust. As the puppies grew older, what fun we had! Their exuberance was contagious and laughter filled the room when they were in it. Imagine laying on the floor with ten excited little souls pouncing all over you, tickling and kissing you so happy just to be alive. I can't help but smile at even the thought of it.

The animals we have had throughout the years, especially in my youngest years, were many in numbers. There were turtles, fish, hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, snakes, mice, birds...you name it, and we've had it! From the smallest to the largest, they all had a wonderful gift or message to bestow. I will share more of their stories in the future for their lessons and their love are too vast for this one post.

No comments:

Post a Comment