Golden Heart

Golden Heart

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

To My Uncle Richie


You once told me, "You are the gift that keeps on giving," but what you didn't know is that so were you! You taught me how to be adventurous, courageous, brave, and to love unconditionally! You taught me to laugh and enjoy life no matter how bad it got or what your circumstances were. You taught me that it wasn't about what you had but what you were able to give that mattered.

I learned to be strong; you had to weather the storm and persevere. I learned that you can make a difference no matter where you are at in life. I learned to be creative. I learned that no matter how little you had, you could always share it with someone else. I learned to love all of life from its tiniest creatures to the biggest.

Today I am missing you. Grief is knocking at my door once again, and I have answered. No sense in ignoring it because it will only come back so I welcome it as I would an old friend. I realize it has come to allow me a way to release the pain I feel in my heart right now, to make my peace with all that has passed, so that I may move on more freely.

So much of my life had been taking care of you and mommy that now that you are both gone I have this big void, and I'm not entirely sure how to fill it, but I am trying. I wonder what would you tell me, Richie? What do you think of all that has come to pass for me?

As tears stream down my face, I acknowledge the sadness but also the joy. I celebrate your life and all of our memories together. I accept the dark moments because they made the light that much brighter; I have become who I am because of them. I am grateful for the time we had together and for all you have given me. I will carry you in my heart always.

It is raining but the sun shines behind the clouds, peeking its head out every now and again for a few short moments. Soon the clouds will gladly part to make way for the sun to shine once again and so it is with life...it goes on whether tears fall or smiles reign, but it doesn't make me miss you any less. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment